Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Winner Winner, Paleo Chicken Dinner. . .

Here you go, my FIRST recipe for the SHY Vine blog! This is the recipe I created yesterday for one of my Weekly Meal Service clients who eats Paleo. 

For those who are unfamiliar with the Paleo way of eating, here's a brief summary from a website that I have used (The Paleo Diet):

The Paleo diet is based upon eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era, the time period from about 2.6 million years ago to the beginning of the agricultural revolution, about 10,000 years ago. These foods include fresh meats (preferably grass-produced or free-ranging beef, pork, lamb, poultry, and game meat, if you can get it), fish, seafood, fresh fruits, vegetables, seeds, nuts, and healthful oils (olive, coconut, avocado, macadamia, walnut and flaxseed). Dairy products, cereal grains, legumes, refined sugars and processed foods were not part of our ancestral menu.

Now, I don't personally follow the Paleo diet or any "diet" for that matter, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work for people. I am just one of those folks who have tried many diets and found that none really worked for me . . . mostly because I could never stick to them! . . .again, I'm just being honest!!! But, what I have found that works for me is a healthy diet of the food groups; the grains--- carbs (yes, carbs!! I have Italian in me, what can I say!!), the meat & beans, the vegetables & fruits, and the dairy.

I am a true believer in the "clean eating" movement. In fact, it started about three years ago with a 40 day fast that was actually more of a spiritual fast than a diet/cleaning fast, but during that time I learned a lot about food! I also created a journal of, yep, you guessed it, 40 recipes! I also got a subscription to what is now referred to as "my FAVORITE magazine in the whole wide world"!!!.....Clean Eating

Getting back to the recipe I have below; some of my Weekly Meal Service clients have certain dietary needs and wants, and it's my job to help them achieve their eating goals. This is one of the recipes that I created for one of my Paleo diet clients. I also scan the web for websites that are geared toward Paleo, that way I can find some more recipes to try out on them. In fact, while I'm writing this, I'm feeling like someone out there is thinking, "well, tell me the websites you use!" So, for that person (s), here are some that I really like:
So, I hope you enjoy this new blog, and learning some new things along the way. I never tire of learning, so if you follow my blog, get ready to put your thinking cap on and join me in learning fun and exciting new things!

Here is the recipe for the Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken:

Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Chicken

4 boneless & skinless chicken breasts, butterflied ( you can also pound slightly if breasts are too thick)
1 ½ C frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
¼ C roasted red pepper, chopped
½ small onion, chopped
3 TBSP sundried tomatoes, rehydrated for about 5 minutes in a little water
¼ C ground flax seed
3-4 Tbsp. garlic, minced
¼ C fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
¼ tsp. ground chipotle pepper
Salt & pepper, to taste
8 thick slices peppered or regular bacon
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Preheat oven to 375°.
In a bowl, combine spinach, red pepper, onion, sundried tomatoes, flax seed, garlic, parsley, chipotle pepper, salt & pepper. Blend well.
Fill each chicken breast with spinach stuffing. Wrap two pieces of bacon around each chicken breast; if desired, you can use a toothpick to keep bacon in place. Place wrapped chicken in lightly sprayed shallow baking dish.  Drizzle olive oil over chicken.
Bake chicken approximately 40 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165° and juices run clear from chicken. 

**NOTE: you can also add 1/2 c goat cheese or feta cheese to this and it's STELLAR!!

No comments:

Post a Comment