Monday, January 14, 2013

I love playing with my food. . . .

There's just something about fondue. . .it makes me feel like a little kid. Like, I'm playing with my food. But I can honesty say, growing up, we never had fondue, nor did I ever hear of fondue! I know, I led a "food-sheltered" life.

Some of you may have already hear my food journey as to how I started cooking, and for those of you who don't know the story, here's the short version; my mom hated to cook and about the only she ever really made was SPAM & Pork'n Beans. . . around three nights a week. So, if I wanted to eat anything other than that meal, she said that I needed to learn how to cook. So, I did!

We lived beside my grandmother, and she was a great cook! She made all the old fashion meals most of you probably grew up with. Then, there was one of our neighbors, Ada, she was a great cook too! Ada was Amish, so she made delicious homemade noodles, roast beef, and all the other great foods that come out of most Amish homes. I was blessed to have grandma and Ada as cooking mentors. But, I should clarify something about my mother. . . she was a FABULOUS house keeper! Seriously, you could eat off the floor, and the laundry!.....always washed, dried, folded and put away in my drawers in the blink of an eye. So what she didn't like to do in the kitchen, she made up for in other ways! LOVE YOU MOM! LOL!!

OK, back to the Fondue! We enjoy Fondue often in our home. It's a traditional Swiss meal, and being that my hubby comes from a Swiss family, you bet we Fondue in style! We have Fondue pots from Switzerland, thanks to Aunt Darlene! And, when we all get together to start dipping, the laughter begins! I think that's one of the best parts of Fondue parties at our house. . . everyone laughing, sharing a meal, talking about everything, and just being together.

Fondue is a very relational meal. I mean, you are sitting around the table with a communal pot in the middle filled with hot bubbly melted cheese. Everyone has their own forks, but you all share out of one pot. Communal style. I love it. It is a platform for talking and sharing.

Today, I had an opportunity to make some Fondue for a great friend at his office. It was kind of a "gone away" party. He is taking another job and won't be around quite as often, so we thought it was a great reason for a party!. . .then again, with me. . .I can always find a reason to celebrate with food!

I made two Fondue's; one was a Blue Cheese Fondue. . . AWESOME . . .and the other was one I created on the fly!. . . Smoked Fondue! My daughter, who works with me, said that this was. . .and I quote. . ."that's my new favorite Fondue!" That made my heart smile! So, since it was such a hit with Tara, and Mike (who the dish was created for!), Kelly, Todd, and John, I thought I would share the recipe!


So I encourage each of you to gather some friends around the table and Fondue together! Take time to sit and talk. Take time to laugh and cry. Take time to share what's going on in your life. Take time to hear what's going on in your friends and family's life too. Communal dining, is relational dining. Want to know what's up in your friends and family's life? Talk, eat and have fun!!

Until next time,

Cheers!

Here's the recipe for the Smoke Fondue that I created today! Have fun in your kitchen!! By the way. . . Fondue WILL BE ON OUR MENU at SHY CELLARS!!


Smokey Fondue
2 ½ -3 c Dry White Wine
1 ½ tsp. Corn starch
2 c Smoked Gouda, shredded
1  8oz pkg Italian Five Cheese, or a mixture of mozzarella, romano, asiago, & parmesan
1   8oz pkg Mozzarella cheese
½ tsp. Nutmeg
Salt, to taste

Toss all cheese in a large bowl with corn starch until well coated. Set aside.
Pour wine in heavy bottom pot and heat on med low to a slight simmer begins. Turn heat to low.
Slowly begin to add cheese, a small handful at a time, to the wine. Stir constantly while adding a handful of cheese and allowing it to melt. Continue adding cheese until it is all added.
Add nutmeg and salt. Remove from heat. Dip fresh veggies, crusty bread, Granny Smith Apples (that one was for Cheryl!! :) 

1 comment: