Monday, February 4, 2013

Chutney VS Salsa VS Relish . . . who cares what you call it!

Is it a chutney? Is it a salsa? Could it be a relish? Really, I don't care, just give me some!!! I love chutney, salsa, and relish. In my book, they are all good and they each have a place. . . on my plate!

Referring back to my culinary text books, here's what they say:
Salsa is actually the Spanish and the Italian word for "sauce," so the word refers to many types of preparations, both raw and cooked. Nevertheless, in English-speaking countries, the words salsa usually refers to a mixture of raw or cooked chopped vegetables, herbs, and occasionally, fruits. 
The words relish and chutney have no exact definitions. One meaning of relish is any raw or pickled vegetable used as an appetizer. As used in a discussion of sauces, a relish is a mixture of chopped vegetables (and sometimes fruits), at least one of which is picked in vinegar or a salt solution.
The word chutney originated in India, where it refers to several types of spicy condiments or relishes, including strongly spiced sweet-and-sour cooked fruit or vegetable mixtures, as well as raw or partially cooked mixtures of chopped herbs or vegetables.  Almost all chutneys contain an acid ingredient.
 So, now you know the difference, but does it really matter to you what we call this wonderfully fresh bowl of lusciousness? Probably not! But I love passing on something that I learn . . . it helps keep it in my brain too!

Here is my latest creation this morning; Tropical Raw Chutney. I created this recipe to accompany a Spicy Shrimp & Scallop Kabob (I figured since we are having a snow storm here in Ohio, I would dream of the beach and warmer weather while nibbling on something from the coast! LOL!)


Tropical Raw Chutney

1 mango, peeled & diced
½ fresh pineapple, peeled & diced
1 kiwi, peeled & diced
½ c cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
salt & pepper to taste

Add everything in glass bowl and toss. Serve with seafood, chicken, or pork . . .oh heck, serve it with anything! In fact, I ate some on a pita chip!!!! 

Until next time,

Cheers!!


Information from Wayne Gisslen, Professional Cooking, Seventh Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment