Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Just a recipe?. . . . .

Just a recipe. How cute. That's what I thought when my daughter, Tara, wrote this recipe down. I know she was little; probably 8, 9 or 10 years old. I remember the day she created this "incredible" chocolate milk drink.

We lived in a log cabin and had three horses. She loved those horses, and she never complained when it was 5 or 6 am and I woke her to muck the stalls, and feed them. Lot's of good memories there....and some "not so good" memories! (we seemed to be accident prone! someone always had an injury!!) Still, lot's of memories.

Anyway, today, as I'm sitting here in my office (a.k.a....the garage!), I smell the aroma of a lemon cake being baked in our kitchen. Tara is making cakes for a wedding cake testing tonight so the kitchen is full of action! But, as I sat here just listening to her work away, and doing what she loves, I was brought back to a memory at our cabin!

Tara came in the kitchen, and she decided to "create a recipe" for her very own special hot choco or chocolate milk. I let her mix whatever she wanted to mix in that cup! She got busy and went straight to our pantry and started pulling out all sorts of "weird" items..... OK, they weren't really "weird" items, but they seemed a little strange to me because she was putting them in a cup to make CHOCOLATE MILK, but I let her. I wanted to see what she came up with! (ya, she get's gift from me! LOL!)



After placing these six ingredients in a cup, I remember she mixed it really good (she even made note of that on her recipe!), and she tasted it. I don't remember if she made any adjustments, but I remember the look in her eyes! The look of, "I just created the BEST Chocolate Milk  Supreme, EVER!!" (Yep, I'm crying as I write this!) I also remember her asking me to try it! :) And, I did!

I laugh as I sit here and bring this memory back to life! Honestly, I don't remember what this Chocolate Supreme creation tasted like, but I remember the happiness it brought Tara, just knowing that she created something special, all by herself. I remember how happy I was that she enjoyed the creating part, because I always enjoyed that. It was seeing a part of me in her. That still makes my heart skip a beat every time I see her create something now, in White Velvet Desserts kitchen!

Just a recipe? Nope. A memory. An emotion. A tickle in my belly. A smile in my heart. Creating a recipe is more than just creating an edible food items, it's creating. . . memories, emotions, smiles. . and love. I thank God each and every day that I have the opportunity to work side-by-side with my daughter. . .creating more "chocolate supreme" recipes and memories that will last for generations to come!

Until next time,

Cheers!!


No comments:

Post a Comment